Thursday, January 19, 2006

Hair Around the Edges

I recently had my locs retightened. I usually do it myself, but wanted to get them done for a change. I noticed that my loctician left out the fine hair around the edges, the front hairline. Is this normal? I think this is the first time that she has done that. When I do my own retightenings I pull all the little stray hairs into the loc. Even though it eventually comes back out, but I still do it. I wonder if this was just an accident or she had a reason for doing it. I didn't want to call to ask because I thought it was petty. But have any of you experienced this?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ree-C,
I don't think you are being petty. I like my hair to be pulled back into the lock. The fraying hair you are describing is suppose to be weaved back into the lock. Yes, it may come back out, but it's not unreasonable to have it weaved back in.
Sheila
Consultant trainee

KDL said...

Ree-C,
I notice that my consultant does this also. It's been over 2 years and I have hair that just won't stay in the lock. Despite that I still like it weaved back into the lock. When I retighten, I always do.

KLW

Anonymous said...

I imagine it's so your edges don't go bald. If you have ever noticed, some people pull their hair too tight when re-tightening and it causes breakage. The hairline tends to be the most fragile part of your hair. Plus if hair is wet when pulled, it will pull more once it dries (contracts). It doesn't hurt to call and ask, "Hi, So-and-So, thanks again for hooking up my hair and I have a question... I noticed stray hairs at my hairline and was wondering if you noticed them too..."? It's like you don't want to sound like you are saying "Why didn't you tighten my edges?" even though you are....you don't want to sound like you are attacking the person.

My own two-cents:
My locs were salon maintained until I noticed my loctician didn't wash her hands from one person's head to the next... um...THAT's NASTY !!!!!!! I have maintained my hair at home every since. (YUCK !!!)